Announcing: The Great Sherlock Cab Chase!
The Great Sherlock Fitness Challenge is barely finished, but that doesn’t mean we can rest on our laurels! It’s time to get ready for the Great Sherlock Cab Chase. The goal is simple: travel as many miles as possible on foot between July 14th and August 12th. Here are the details:
- To join the challenge, first join Fitocracy, a fantastic website that gives you points and lets you level up as you exercise. Then, join the BBC Sherlock Fans group, a wonderfully supportive group of folks cheering each other on as we all work to get in shape. Finally, (and this bit is very important) click the “join challenge” button in the left sidebar of the group page to have your progress in the challenge tracked.
- You must have clicked the “join challenge button” BEFORE JULY 14th. Otherwise Fitocracy will block you from joining it, and while you’re still completely welcome to hang out with the rest of us on the group chatter page, you’ll miss out on the glory of the challenge leaderboard and the chance to be eligible for prizes.
- The activities that count towards the challenge are outdoor running, trail running, treadmill running, outdoor walking, treadmill walking, light walking, and hiking. Other activities, like Farmer’s Walk or Elliptical Machines, will not be counted towards your total miles, so take that into account when you’re planning your workouts.
- Because everyone who wants to participate in the challenge needs to join before July 14th, it’s important to get the word out as much as possible before then. So please, reblog, tweet, and facebook away. We want to make sure that everyone who wants to join finds out about the contest before July 14th.
- Since the emphasis this month is on running and walking, people are encouraged to organize local Cab Chase meetups with local Sherlockian friends. If you want to get the word out about one in your city, let me know and I’ll be happy to signal boost it here on the Challenge tumblr.
- Prizes: 1st Prize - a $50 credit to antieuclid.com, the web’s best source of geek and academia humor, and a Sherlock Doll handknitted by AshKnight1214, whose Etsy shop offers not only fantastic fandom dolls but also handspun yarn in fandom color schemes. 2nd Prize - a $20 credit to antieuclid.com. 3rd Prize - a $10 credit to antieuclid.com. In addition, there will be two $10 credits given away to participants selected at random, so even those who aren’t going to be able to reach the top of the leaderboard have a shot at winning a prize. (More prizes will likely be announced as I confirm them with the people who offered them. If you’d like to offer a prize in exchange for some publicity and a lot of gratitude, let me know.)
- You can get official challenge swag and help support the sponsor of the challenge here.